Hair Transplant Recovery Timeline
More often than not, people who plan for hair transplant treatment are worried about the hair transplant recovery timeline. Of course, everyone has life, and this question plays a crucial role before planning when and where to get the treatment.
In this post, we will discuss everything about the hair transplant recovery timeline. Scroll down to read the full article.
Here we go…
What is Recovery Timeline after Hair Transplant Procedure?
After the hair transplantation procedure is finished, the next step in the process is the recovery period or timeline. It is one of the crucial times post hair transplant surgeries. This is the time when you have to be really careful of things that have been told to you by your surgeon. Yes, a reputable hair transplant surgeon will always provide you with aftercare instructions that you need to follow religiously.
Since the hair transplant procedure can be somewhat strenuous, every patient must have recuperation help afterward. It is specifically important for people who already suffer from underlying hair loss problems in order to prevent unfavourable situations post-surgery.
How Long Does It Take to Recover After Getting a Hair Transplant?
The timeline differs from person to person based on the kind of treatment they have undergone, their health conditions, and how religiously they follow aftercare instructions.
After a hair transplant, a red and swollen scalp is a fairly typical side effect. A reputable hair transplant clinic, such as DHI clinic, will always be by your side to support you at this stage. They will provide you with complete support in managing these symptoms.
There is no downtime post hair transplant procedure done by the DHITM technique usually, after the head washes post-hair transplant procedure you can enter your daily routine work and scabs will take around 7 to 14 days to diminish. Post hair transplant care is recommended to be performed for at least a few weeks after a hair transplant by the majority of hair transplant specialists.
If the procedure of hair transplantation takes longer than usual, it is possible that your scalp will require more time to recover from the post-transplant symptoms. Additionally, the recovery timeline could stretch if you have some severe medical conditions. Usually, the healing process takes around 10 to 20 days. If it takes more for you, then we recommend visiting your hair transplant surgeon, as he/she would be able to help you better in such a situation.
Hair Transplant After Care Tips
It is important that you have a thorough understanding of the post hair transplant procedures. It will help you take good care of your scalp following the procedure and get good results. Washing your scalp and taking care of your scalp as it heals is the primary focus of the recovery timeline.
Of course, post-surgery, you won’t be able to wash your hair as you used to do prior to it. Also, the routine of washing your hair will not be the same as it was before the procedure. Aside from that, there will be several other things that you will need to follow for proper healing.
Here are some of the hair transplants after tips that you’ll need to follow post-surgery. Take a look…
Post-DHI Hair Transplant Procedure Precautions:
- Quit Smoking and Alcohol: Prioritize your recovery by quitting smoking and abstaining from alcohol, as they can hinder blood flow and delay healing. Avoid alcohol for 1 month before surgery and 5 days after, while quitting smoking a few months before and for the first 4 weeks post-surgery.
- Limit Excessive Sweating: Refrain from intense exercise and activities that induce excessive sweating, such as spa visits, saunas, and steam rooms, for at least one week following the DHI hair transplant.
- Opt for Nutritious Food: Fuel your body with healthy, nutrient-rich meals to support proper blood flow, hydration, and optimal recovery. Avoid fast food options that lack essential nutrients, and consider supplements like protein, biotin, magnesium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B6 if necessary.
- Protect from Sun Exposure: Minimize sun exposure, especially between 10 AM and 2 PM, for two weeks after the procedure. When necessary, shield your head with breathable fabric or limit your time in direct sunlight.
- Sleep with Care: Prevent rubbing the treated area against pillows or hard surfaces during the first-week post-transplantation. Invest in a weighted blanket or consider sleeping on a recliner chair to avoid any impact on the results.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink ample water before and after the procedure to ensure hydration and aid in a speedy recovery. Aim to consume 10% more water than usual and monitor your urine color as an indicator of proper hydration.
- Avoid Ice Application: Refrain from applying ice directly to the scalp, as it may negatively affect the hair transplant results. Avoid touching or scratching the scalp for 72 hours post-surgery and gently apply any ornaments or headwear, if necessary.
- Avoid Driving: Due to sedation or anesthesia, refrain from driving for at least 24 hours after the hair transplant. Arrange for alternate transportation or assistance in getting home safely.
- Follow Medication Instructions: Adhere to the prescribed medications as per the instructions provided. Take medications with a meal, especially antibiotics, to prevent infection and painkillers to avoid gastrointestinal issues.
- Postpone Hair Dyeing: Wait at least four weeks before dyeing your hair after the transplant, as harsh chemicals in hair dyes can potentially harm the transplanted follicles. Allow ample time for consistent growth and proper care of the fragile transplanted hair.
- Expect Natural Shedding: Understand that it is normal for the transplanted hair to fall out, approximately 10% to 15%, within a few weeks after surgery. This shedding phase is part of the natural hair growth process, and new hair will replace them within three months, growing thicker, healthier, and stronger.
Remember, following these precautions diligently will optimize your recovery and contribute to the best possible outcomes of your DHI hair transplant.
So, these are some hair transplant aftercare tips you can follow to speed up the recovery procedure. Continuing with this regimen until your scalp is back to its natural condition will help you tremendously.